Skip to content

April 10, 2010

Yakezie Weekly Round-up: Better Late Than Never

by Fin Engr
share save 120 16 Yakezie Weekly Round up: Better Late Than Never

As a proper welcome, this week’s round-up highlights those posts from newer members. And welcome back to Downturn Living. She’d shares a very personal message about where she’s been.

Here’s the highlights for your weekend pleasure:

• Joe the Taxpayer presents a political cartoon and poses the question: “Aren’t we concerned about a falling dollar more than another country’s currency being too low?” I thought about this question for some time, and would pose a follow-on question to his: “Beyond the fluctuations in currency, shouldn’t we also be concerned about the reasoning behind the change [in this case – trade deficit]?”
  • Another great picture, Bible Debt questions whether we are slaves. An older article, I was drawn to the imagery within the photo. Looking at the rusty ball and ankle shackle, could you manage walking into a bank for a car loan and walking out with this? That’s what many people do every day!
  • Debt Hawk really gives us something to think about. Going into the details of a Simplified Employee Pension Plan (SEP), it looks like there could be some great benefits. Owning a small side business, you can tax deductible contributions even if your full-time job offers a 401k! Would my lawn-mowing business be eligible? :)
  • I’d always, and still sometimes do, consider the military. I like adrenaline, risk, & challenge (it’s all derived from each other). Bucksome Boomer highlights the intangible, character-building benefits and how they relate to your civilian job.
  • Google knocked on PF Firewall‘s door, and he answered. I won’t give the ending away, but read the entire post. It’s so well-written, I was momentarily transported into the likes of the Aeneid or Illiad.
  • PF By The Book addresses something I’ve been thinking about for a long time – subscribing to the PF preachings of only one guru. There are many points I disagree with Dave Ramsey on, but I appreciate what his strategies have done for others. The point is – “you are what you read”. So branch out, read as much different information as you can, and eventually you’ll pick and choose which strategies work best for your financial system.
  • If you haven’t heard of Dividend Monk – learn it. He performs all sorts of Shaolin analysis on stocks, but today I wanted to point out his entry into the Million Dollar Club. I can admit that I was caught off guard, and impressed, with his write-up. The sections are well thought-out and made me re-think my own goals.
  • Giving a 1-2 punch, Eventual Millionaire and Peak Personal Finance ask us the WHAT and WHY of becoming a millionaire. Before starting on your goals, first these questions must be answered in order to provide you with laser-like focus. Both focus on defining goals and establishing plans to get there.
  • 20s Money addresses our short-attention spans with media information and the failure to dig beyond the headlines. As he points out in a real-life example, what’s reported in the news primarily concerns our perceptions of the markets – not necessarily the realities.
Read more from Blogging
15 Comments Post a comment
  1. Apr 10 2010

I always appreciate a link, but you misrepresent my position. I posted a political cartoon and questioned it myself. I asked “Aren’t we concerned about a falling dollar more than another country’s currency being too low?”

• Fin Engr
      Apr 10 2010

@ JoeTaxpayer:

Sorry! I did intertwine my own views into the write-up, diluting your position. I’ll go back and revise/separate the section.

2. Apr 10 2010

Thanks for hosting the carnival and including my post. Much appreciated!

BTW…I too am a Professional Engineer, albeit a retired one. Engineers are notoriously frugal (some say “tight”), so branching into finance seems to be a natural progression.

• Fin Engr
      Apr 10 2010

@Joe:

Hey, retired but licensed! Instant credibly in my book. There’s a bunch of us “converts” out there it seems. :)

• May 7 2010

Hello Joe!

I had no idea engineers are also notoriously frugal! I just spoke with one yesterday about solar panels and inverters in order to power our tv/entertainment center and fish tank, and he was super helpful. I LOVE frugality…so perhaps I should become an engineer? hahahahaha.
      .-= Amanda L. Grossman´s last blog ..Frugal Confessions Friday! =-.

• Fin Engr
        May 9 2010

@ Amanda:

That’s really cool about your fish tank and tv! It has to do with the practical mindset – you don’t design beyond what’s necessary, so why spend that way? Hey if you’re pretty good & interested – go for it!

3. Apr 10 2010

Excellent round up FE! Just want to say thanks on behalf of those you’ve highlighted.

Rgds,

Sam
    .-= Financial Samurai´s last blog ..Doing Anything You Can to Survive – Silence And Surprise In The Night =-.

• Fin Engr
      Apr 10 2010

@ FS:

and thanks for saying thanks? ha. :) Enjoying reading the articles and trying to summarize for other readers.

4. Apr 11 2010

Thanks for the link! I didn’t realize that little tale could effect like an Illiad, I’m flattered :)

Have a good Sunday night!
    .-= Jesse´s last blog ..Linkworthy: Gardens, Nurses and Foreigners =-.

• Fin Engr
      Apr 12 2010

No problem. Maybe it’s not a “classic” yet, but there was tons of descriptive imagery. Enjoyed the lessons learned at the end too.

5. Apr 12 2010

I guess some of my education actually sunk in :) thanks again
    .-= Jesse´s last blog ..Linkworthy: Gardens, Nurses and Foreigners =-.

6. BibleDebt
    Apr 13 2010

Thank you for the link! Looking forward to working more with you. Someday I will join you in to top 200,000!
    .-= BibleDebt´s last blog ..Blog Buzz – Over 200,000 =-.

• Fin Engr
      Apr 13 2010

@ BibleDebt:

Welcome abroad. Before you know it my friend…

7. Apr 14 2010

Thanks for the mention Fin Engr!
    .-= Tracy´s last blog ..Unlearning the Lessons of our Parents =-.

• Fin Engr
      Apr 15 2010

Of course! Great to have you back on the circuit. Hope things work out for the best.